Wednesday, April 4, 2018

Advice

I was heading out into the parking lot today and a former student who took my class about a year ago spotted me. She walked about ten feet towards me, gave me a hug, and we chatted for a bit. She says she still looks at the materials I taught and showed me a webpage I created that she somehow was able to convert into a phone app. She says other students still talk about me. Right now she is only taking one class, English 100. She does have to go to work to take care of her family. She has a husband and one child.

We also touched a bit on our lives, and she was a bit curious about my personal life besides teaching. At the end she wanted to give some personal advice regarding choosing a life partner and says that you will grow with your partner, and therefore if you are only happy with 60% of your partner in the beginning, that is enough. The other 40% can be worked on together after commitment. I told her I had been aiming for at least 90%.
“The race is long and, in the end, it’s only with yourself.”